- 2 medium sweet onions, diced into bite-sized pieces
- 3 stalks celery, diced
- 4 carrots, peeled and sliced into rounds
- 2 medium russet potatoes, peeled and diced into small bite-sized pieces
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 teaspoons salt
- ½ teaspoon paprika
- ½ teaspoon dried thyme
- ½ teaspoon poultry seasoning
- 3-4 lbs. bone-in chicken breasts, skin removed
- 3 cups low-sodium chicken broth or chicken stock
- 1 tablespoon corn starch + 1 tablespoon cold water
- For garnish: chopped fresh parsley
Place onions, celery, carrots, potatoes, bay leaf, salt, paprika, thyme, and poultry seasoning in the bottom of a large slow cooker. Stir to combine.
Place chicken on top of vegetables. Season chicken liberally with salt and pepper.
Pour chicken broth over everything, cover, and cook on LOW for 6-8 hours or on HIGH for 3-4 hours.
When there are about 30 minutes left in the cooking time, remove chicken from the slow cooker and chop or shred the meat. Return chicken meat to the slow cooker and discard bones. Discard bay leaf.
In a small bowl, whisk together 1 tablespoon of corn starch with 1 tablespoon of cold water until smooth. Stir into the stew and cook on HIGH without the lid for 30 minutes (or until broth thickens a little bit).
Garnish with chopped fresh parsley, just before serving.