What’s for dinner? This simple cheesy baked ziti recipe is comforting, filling and super simple to whip up. Ready in under an hour, this dish is a family favorite and makes for delicious leftovers!
- 16 oz. package of penne pasta
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 pound italian sausage
- 32 oz. marinara sauce
- 15 oz. ricotta cheese
- 1 large egg
- 2 cups mozzarella cheese (divided)
- 3/4 cups shredded parmesan (divided)
- 2 tbsp chopped basil
- 1 tsp italian seasoning
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Crushed red pepper flakes
- Preheat the oven to 375°F. Prepare a 9×13 baking dish with cooking spray.
- In a large pot, bring salted water to a boil. Cook the penne pasta according to instructions until it is al dente. Drain the pasta, drizzle with olive oil and stir. Pour it into a large bowl and set aside.
- In a large saute pan, heat olive oil over medium heat. Add the italian sausage and break up the meat with a wooden spoon, cooking until it is no longer pink (about 5-7 mins). Discard excess fat and set aside.
- In a medium bowl, combine the ricotta, an egg, 1 cup of mozzarella cheese, ½ cup of parmesan cheese, basil, italian seasoning, crushed red pepper flakes and salt and pepper to taste.
- Next, add the cheese mixture to the pasta. Pour in the marina sauce and sausage and stir until well combined, being careful not to break the noodles.
- Pour the pasta mixture into the baking dish, and top with the remaining 1 cup of mozzarella cheese an ¼ cup of parmesan cheese.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes, until the top appears slightly golden brown and bubbly. Remove from the oven and let it cool for a few minutes. Lastly, serve and enjoy!