- 1/2 cup seasoned bread crumbs
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/2 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 1 tablespoon water
- 4 (6 ounces each ) boneless skinless chicken breast halves
- 1 jar (24 ounces) marinara sauce
- 4 slices part-skim mozzarella cheese
- Hot cooked pasta, optional
- In a shallow bowl, combine bread crumbs, Parmesan cheese, Italian seasoning, pepper, and salt. In another bowl, combine egg and water. Dip chicken in egg mixture, then in crumb mixture to coat both sides (patting to help adhere). Repeat.
- Transfer chicken to slow cooker. Pour sauce over chicken and top with cheese. Cook, covered, on low until a thermometer inserted in chicken reads 165°, about 4-6 hours. If desired, serve with hot cooked pasta.
- Serve alongside sauteed broccoli rabe or a fresh green salad.
- Top with fresh basil before serving.