Pesto pasta is a classic recipe that truly captures the essence of spring! This dish is full of bright flavors and garden herbs that come together to create a savory, nourishing meal. Pesto is a zingy sauce made from pine nuts, parmesan, basil and garlic and lemon juice. While you may have experienced store bought pesto, it’s just that much better when it’s homemade!
- 2 cups basil
- ¼ cup toasted pine nuts toasted
- 4-5 TBS olive oil
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- 1 ½ TBS minced garlic
- ½ cup parmesan cheese
- ½ tsp salt
- 1/8 tsp pepper
- Boiling, salted water
- 16 oz of your preferred pasta
- 2 TBS toasted pine nuts
- Cherry tomatoes, fresh basil, parmesan for garnish (optional)
- Cook pasta according to package instructions, and be sure to use salted water.
- Drain (do not rinse), return to dry pot, cover with a lid and set aside.
- Heat pine nuts in a small sauté pan over medium heat, stir once you notice them starting to brown. Watch carefully to ensure they don’t burn, and remove from heat once all nuts are roasted (about 5 minutes), and let them cool.
- Reserve 2 TBS roasted pine nuts for serving.
- Put olive oil and basil leaves into the container of a Vitamix (or another high-powered blender). Blend for about 60 seconds until the ingredients are combined but not totally smooth- you want some texture.
- Add in ¼ cup pine nuts, garlic, lemon juice, parmesan cheese, salt and pepper and blend or process until you reach your desired consistency (about 30-60 seconds).
- Taste and adjust salt and pepper as desired, pulse to combine.
- Transfer warm pasta to a serving dish.
- Add homemade pesto sauce and stir into pasta until evenly distributed.
- Sprinkle with remaining toasted pine nuts!
- Add tomatoes and fresh basil if desired.
- Serve warm or transfer to the refrigerator to chill and serve cold.