Orange Chicken is a well-loved takeout dish, but what if you could create your own version at home? This simple recipe uses minimal ingredients with flavors that pack a punch. Serve it up over a bed of rice and stir fry veggies for a meal the whole family will love!
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts cut into bite-size pieces
- 3 eggs, whisked
- 1/3 cup cornstarch
- 1/3 cup of flour
- 1 cup orange juice
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 Tablespoons rice vinegar or white vinegar
- 2 Tablespoons soy sauce
- 1/4 teaspoon ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder or 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon red chili flakes
- orange zest from 1 orange
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- Green Onions
- Orange Zest
- To make the orange sauce, in a medium pot add orange juice, sugar, vinegar, soy sauce, ginger, garlic, and red chili flakes. Heat for 3 minutes.
- In a small bowl, whisk 1 tablespoon of cornstarch with 2 tablespoons of water until a paste forms. Add this to the orange sauce and whisk together. Continue to cook for 5 minutes, until the mixture begins to thicken. Once the sauce is thickened, remove from heat and add orange zest.
- To make the chicken, add the flour and cornstarch to a shallow dish or pie plate. Add a pinch of salt and stir.
- Whisk the eggs in a shallow dish. Dip the chicken pieces in the egg mixture, and then immediately into the flour mixture. Place each piece on a plate.
- Heat 2 -3 inches of oil in a heavy-bottomed pot over medium-high heat. Using a thermometer, watch for it to reach 350 degrees.
- Working in batches, cook several chicken pieces at a time. Cook for 2 – 3 minutes, turning often until golden brown. Place chicken on a paper-towel-lined plate. Repeat.
- Toss chicken with orange sauce. You may reserve some of the sauce to place on rice. Serve hot on top of rice with a sprinkling of green onion and orange zest if desired!