Lemon squares are a tart, but sweet old fashioned treat. These delicious bars with a flaky shortbread base make for a delicious mid-day snack. And best of all, they’re easy to bake!
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- ½ cup chilled butter (cut into cubes)
- ¼ cup sugar
- Pinch of salt
Lemon Filling Topper:
- 1 cup icing sugar (plus additional for dusting after baking)
- 2 large eggs, beaten
- 2 tbsp all purpose flour
- ¼ tsp baking powder
- 1 large lemon, juiced, roughly 3-4 tbsp of juice
- Zest of large lemon, roughly 2 tsp
- Preheat your oven to 325 degrees
- Place all the ingredients for the crust in a food processor, and pulse until it resembles fine crumbs.
- Next, press the mixture into an ungreased 9×9 pan.
- Bake the crust for 20 minutes, then remove from the oven to add lemon top.
- Increase oven temperature to 350 degrees
- Whisk all the filling ingredients together and pour over the base.
- Place in the oven and bake for 20-25 minutes, until the top is set.
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool.
- Run a knife along the edge of the lemon bars to loosen it from the pan, then turn it out onto a cutting board.
- Cut into 16 squares, then dust with powdered sugar.