Is your fridge filled with a bowl of leftover mashed potatoes? This is the recipe for you! Turn your leftovers into the ultimate comfort food, beautifully fried potato cakes loaded with cheese, bacon and hot sauce to create a savory bite that’s sure to please!
- 5 slices bacon, diced small
- 2 tablespoons of butter
- 1/2 cup diced sweet onion
- 1/2 cup diced celery
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 1/4 cup cold mashed potatoes
- 1 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 1/3 cup flour
- 1 large egg, beaten
- 1 teaspoon yellow mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- hot sauce, to taste
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- sour cream, for serving
- minced fresh chives, for serving
Cook bacon in a skillet over medium-high heat until crispy, stirring occasionally for 5-7 minutes. Drain off grease and transfer most of the bacon to a large bowl, saving a small amount for garnish.
- In the same skillet, melt the butter. Add the onion, celery, and garlic; saute until vegetables are tender, or about 5 minutes. Transfer to the bowl with the bacon.
- Add the mashed potatoes, cheese, flour, egg, mustard, pepper, and a few dashes of hot sauce in the bowl, and stir to combine.
- Form mixture into 8 (1/3-cup) patties, about ½ to 3/4 inch thick.
- Heat oil in the skillet over medium heat. Fry patties until golden brown, about 2-3 minutes per side.
- Serve immediately with a dollop of sour cream, chives, and bacon.