This Thanksgiving, get your fix of autumnal flavors and spices all rolled up into one delicious (easy to transport) cake! Get that classic pumpkin flavor you’re craving without the hassle of making a pie. With just a few simple ingredients, you’ll have holiday dessert ready to go in no time!
*Recipe credit to Gimme Some Oven*
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 2/3 cup pumpkin puree
- garnish: powdered sugar (to sprinkle on at the end!)
Cream Cheese Filling:
- 8 ounces of cream cheese at room temperature
- 1 cup powdered sugar, sifted
- 6 tablespoons butter, softened
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat the oven to 375° F. Line a 15 by 10 inch jelly roll pan with parchment paper, leaving an extra 1-inch of parchment sticking up on both 15-inch sides of the pan so that you can easily lift the cake out after baking.
- Whisk together flour, baking powder, baking soda, pumpkin pie spice and salt in a large bowl until combined.
- In a separate bowl, whisk eggs and granulated sugar for 1 minute until thick. Add in the vanilla and pumpkin, and whisk until just combined. Fold in the flour mixture, and stir together until just combined.
- Spread the batter evenly into the prepared pan. Bake for 13-15 minutes, or until the top of the cake springs back when touched.
- Carefully lift the parchment paper and cake out onto a flat surface. Then slowly, use your hands to roll the cake — rolling from the short end to the short end — until it is completely rolled up. Transfer the cake roll to a wire rack and cool until it reaches room temperature.
- While the cake is cooling, make the cream cheese filling.
- Whisk together cream cheese, powdered sugar, butter and vanilla extract until smooth. If the filling is too thin, add more powdered sugar. If it is too thick, add a half teaspoon or two of water. (You want a medium consistency so that the filling is easy to spread, but not too warm or thin that it will ooze out of the cake when you’re rolling it up.)
- Once the cake has reached room temperature, transfer the cake roll to a flat surface, and carefully unroll it until it is flat again. Spread the cream cheese mixture evenly over the cake, leaving a 3/4-inch border on all sides. Then carefully re-roll the cake, gently peeling away the parchment paper as you roll until you can completely remove and discard it. Tightly wrap the pumpkin roll in plastic wrap and refrigerate at least one hour.
- Remove and unwrap the pumpkin roll and transfer it to your serving dish. Lightly dust the pumpkin roll on all sides with powdered sugar, slice and serve!
- If you have leftovers, re-wrap the pumpkin roll in plastic wrap and store in the refrigerator for up to 5 days, or freeze for up to 3 months!
Enjoy your delicious pumpkin roll!