This easy salsa verde recipe is a great way to switch up taco or burrito night with a fresh, new flavor! Ready in only ten minutes, eat it alone with chips or pair it with a Spanish dish- no matter how you enjoy, you’re sure to love its bright, zesty flavor!
- 1 pound fresh tomatillos, husks removed
- 1 serrano pepper, or 2 jalapeno peppers, stems removed
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1/2 cup fresh cilantro
- 1/3 cup diced white onion
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- 1 teaspoon salt, or more to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- Preheat the oven to 425°F.
- Rinse and dry the tomatillos. Then, spread the tomatillos out evenly on a baking sheet (line with foil for easy cleanup), along with the serrano or jalapeno peppers. Roast them in the oven for 15 minutes, or until the tomatillos start to brown on top and are cooked through.
- Remove from the oven, and transfer the tomatillos and peppers into a blender or food processor. Add the garlic, cilantro, onion, lime juice, salt, and cumin to the mixture, and pulse until it reaches your desired consistency. Taste and season with extra salt or cilantro if needed.
- Serve immediately, or refrigerate in a sealed container for up to 5 days!